Healthy Celebrating at SD
San Domenico is committed to sustainability and celebrating green is one part of that commitment. Please help us model this ethic to students by adhering to the following guidelines.
PARTY SUPPLIES. For parties and special events, please have two cans designated for waste, one for compost and one for recycling. Bins may be requested through maintenance or food services. Eco-party kits that contain a classroom supply of plates, cups, and utensils are available for checkout.
RECOMMENDED GUIDELINES FOR HEALTHY PARTY SNACKS
“Food impacts how well a child’s brain works, affecting their moods and abilities . . . In a child’s brain junk food can cause neurotransmitters, which pass along information, to function improperly. Smart foods, however, allow information to be processed correctly and help the child function at their optimal level.” – Dr. Sears, one of America’s most renowned pediatricians and author of over 40 books
LET’S HELP OUR CHILDREN DO THEIR BEST AT SCHOOL BY SENDING IN
SMART “REAL FOOD” SNACKS
REAL FOOD IS...
- 100% whole grain
- Made with no (or very little) refined sweeteners like white sugar or corn syrup
- Fresh fruits and vegetables (preferably organic), dairy products, seeds, dried fruit,
- humanely raised animal products
- More a product of nature than a product of industry
REAL FOOD IS NOT...
- “Low fat” or “low carb” or “low calorie” products (in most cases)
- Made with artificial sweeteners like Splenda
- Deep fried in refined oil
- 100-calorie packs made with refined grains like white flour (labeled as “wheat flour”)
- Something out of a package containing ingredients you cannot pronounce
- Highly processed food that is labeled as organic
|Any seasonal fresh fruit or vegetable|
Berries with fresh whipped cream
Fruit kabobs with vanilla yogurt dip
Cinnamon tortillas with fruit salsa
Raisin, Craisins, and other dried fruits
Fresh vegetables with Vegetable Dips
Cheese bites and crackers
Whole grain blueberry muffins
|Small bagels (Lenders or Thomas brand) with cream cheese (no nut type)|
Pretzels with hummus
Nutrigrain cereal bars/yogurt bars
Fig Newtons (all flavors)
Whole grain chips and salsa or guacamole
Apple slices with caramel or yogurt dip
Please remember we are a nut-restricted campus.
Thank you for doing your part to make Earth Day Every Day at SD!