Upper School Boarding Program
Attending boarding school is an unparalleled opportunity to build community in a home away from home while studying, learning, growing, and preparing for college. For local students, regional boarding is the gift of extra hours in the day to spend on academics and extracurriculars rather than commuting in Bay Area traffic. For other students, boarding is a chance to explore a new region of the United States, or maybe even another country altogether.
If you are considering boarding school for the first time, the North American Boarding Initiative (NABI) cites the following as reasons you’ll love boarding:
- More adventure.
- So many cool, unique activities, you’ll have the chance to try something different all the time. From arts to athletics to off-campus explorations, it’s easy to pursue your interests and discover new ones.
- More friends.
- Living on campus, there’s always someone to hang out with, help with homework, or watch a movie with. Plus, you get to meet people from all over the world, and before you know it, they become like your second family.
- More challenge.
- The academic expectations at boarding school are high, no doubt. But with small classes, individual attention from teachers, and a community of support, you’ll learn and grow in ways you never imagined.
- More experiences.
- At boarding school, everything is on one campus, so you can make the very most of your time. From classes and meals, to social events, after-school and evening activities, every opportunity is conveniently right here for you.
At San Domenico, we call our boarding program The SD Difference because we see boarding as an opportunity to provide both day and residential students with a truly college preparatory and globally-minded high school experience. The interweaving of our boarding and day program allows students to build a personal network of classmates, mentors, lab partners, teammates, and friends. Here, we work to ensure that, regardless of a student’s mailing address, he or she calls San Domenico home.
With 515 beautiful acres, surrounded by friends from all over the world, and specially trained Residential Faculty, boarding creates closer bonds with friends, and more focused discipline for music, sports, student council, clubs, theatre, and more! A nurturing environment and safety guidelines ensure our students are carefully supervised while also feeling a strong sense of community and comfort.
Student-Faculty relationships are another special part of the boarding experience at SD. Here, your history teacher might drive you to a college interview, or your History teacher's seven year-old daughter may come by to cheer you on at your game. Graduation is usually a bittersweet time for all San Domenico students, but our boarding students report that it is especially poignant. Your years here will ensure deep friendships, adventures with your peers, strong relationships with caring adults, and an education that not only prepares you for college but for life!
Residential Life at SD
- Lounges facilitate friendly gatherings with their overstuffed couches, rocking chairs, working fireplaces, satellite TV connections, and DVD players.
- Friday night dinners out on the town, or spa nights at home in the dorms.
- Fresh, and often local and organic, food is prepared daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Students also have access to a fully outfitted kitchen any time they wish to concoct elaborate culinary delights.
- Dorms are equipped with computer labs, wireless internet access, laser printers, fax.
- Washer and dryer, with no extra charge, in each dorm.
- Weekend trips to amazing destinations like kayaking in Sausalito, shopping in Silicon Valley, or visiting museums in San Francisco.
- The spacious dorm kitchens have full size shared refrigerators, microwaves, toaster ovens, water coolers, and instant hot water.
If you’ve already decided boarding is the way to go, or if you’d like an inside scoop from a student’s perspective, we highly recommend Marisa Sotunde’s So You Want to Go to Boarding School?: How to Have the Best First Year Away from Home Ever!
What students love about boarding at SD
“I like the diversity of where students in this school come from, so that I can learn about different kinds of cultures and customs. And also the Oscar Night Party!” - Dorothy, Junior
“Community Nights! Like when we discussed the importance of forgiveness…and had a moment of silence around the fire pit as we watched our past resentments burn away.” - Cameron, Senior