While the students and faculty have been off campus this summer, many staff were on campus, busy with facility upgrades!
- Plans continue to be underway for the construction of a new Community Center and Aquatic Complex. Encompassing more than 19,000 square feet, this state-of-the-art facility will feature a new and larger competition size pool as well as a 2,000 square foot multi-purpose meeting and gathering space on the west side of campus. We anticipate breaking ground on the new pool mid 2020. For the upcoming school year, our aquatics physical education and swimming programs, led by Aquatics Director Mark Anderson, will continue to be housed on campus.
We are also pleased to announce that in recognition of Sister Gervaise Valpey’s 60th Jubilee, and her many years of dedication to San Domenico, we are naming the new Aquatic Complex in her honor. Sister Gervaise has lived in residence on the San Domenico campus for 50 years. Through the decades, she has served our community in myriad ways, including Head of School and Lower School Principal. It was during Sister Gervaise’s tenure as Lower School Principal that co-education was first introduced in the 1970’s. We are deeply fortunate that she continues to be an active member of our community, a mentor and spiritual presence to many of us.
We will share additional updates during the course of the school year and continue to actively fundraise for this dynamic project, the first new facility to be built on the San Domenico campus in nearly 20 years!
- With the completion of our summer camps, we are also moving forward with an upgrade to an all-weather surface for Kesterson Field that will enable the field to be used year round. An all-weather field will best meet the demands for a competitive athletic program and serve the highest number of students. We have researched best-in-industry options and will be installing an enhanced surface that meets SD’s commitment to meeting water conservation and environmental standards. The new field is slated to be ready mid-November.
- The Lower and Middle School office will be moving to the former Lower School office and renovations are under way to integrate offices for Ms. Parlette (Director of Lower and Middle School), Mr. Churchill (Associate Director of Middle School), and Mr. Noden (Associate Director of Lower School).
- In parking news, you will start to see additional designated parking spaces on campus to formalize where folks already park their cars, as well as new lighting.
- The next time you come to a meeting in Ferguson Conference Room, you will notice that the 50+ year old decor has been refreshed, thanks to a gift from the estate of the late Bettye Poetz Ferguson '35.
As always with a 515-acre campus, there are also many ongoing campus maintenance projects that are accomplished each summer. Thank you to our CFO, David Wise, Director of Planning, Design and Construction, Reinhardt Ludke, our Facilities and Grounds Committee, Facilities Manager, Jose Padilla and our Maintenance Team, for their tireless and tremendous work to keep our campus humming.