SD PARENTS! We invite you to …
“BE THE INFLUENCE”
on Teen Alcohol, Marijuana, Vaping and Other Drug Use
Together with our Marin “Drug-Free Communities” Coalition, the San Domenico School Administration and Parent Service Association (PSA) seek to improve the health, safety and well-being of our community by reducing teen alcohol, marijuana, vaping and other drug use, and specifically reducing:
- Easy access by teens to alcohol, marijuana, nicotine and other drugs,
- Parties and gatherings at homes (as well as rented venues such as community centers, hotel rooms, clubs and party buses) involving teen substance use;
- Binge drinking,
- Driving under the influence, and
- Prescription drug abuse.
Studies show that parents have more influence than they think!
What can you do as a parent?
Join SD’s “Be the Influence” (BTI) Program
- Make the BTI Agreement!. Make your best effort to discourage teen substance use and unsafe behavior by sticking to the simple measures listed in our Agreement. The research is clear that the longer teens “delay” using substances, the better off they will be as adults - and allowing substance use at home leads to more use elsewhere, as well as driving under the influence. Once you make the online Agreement and provide your contact information, you will gain access to the BTI Parent List which contains contact information of other BTI parents. Note the Parent List is password protected, accessed through the BTI website by only BTI parents who make the online BTI Agreement.
- Get to know your teen’s friends and network and communicate with their parents, using the BTI Parent List to monitor your teen’s whereabouts, confirming adult supervision and lack of access to alcohol, marijuana and other drugs. This is not only useful when your teen attends hosted weekend parties or sleepovers, but also during the weekday afternoon hours.
- Just say “know”. Use the BTI Website as a resource. Get educated on the latest research and trends by reading our regular BTI Newsletters emailed to BTI Parents on a bi-monthly basis. Attend Parent Education events highlighted on our website and publicized by San Domenico.
- Talk with your teen on a regular basis. Make use of the timely information and resources on our website and in our newsletters to start conversations with your teens - and then listen to what they have to say.
- Model the behavior that you want to see in your teen. Our high rates of teen substance use mirror adult rates. Remember that your teens are watching you and you are their role models!
For general questions about this program, please contact BTI directly.