2022 Theatre Honors Capstone Performances
Independent Study One-Woman Show
Thursday, June 2 | 7:30 pm
Carol Franc Buck Hall of the Arts
No tickets needed.
Please read below for current COVID-19 Health Policy
After two years of non-public performances, the Department of Theatre Arts is thrilled to be presenting the Theatre Honors Capstone Performances to the public once again! The Capstone Performances are the culminating project for Theatre Honors students; Theatre Honors is a UC-approved college level course. Students must take the artistic lead in a performance with their Peers.
This year, our two Theatre Honors students have chosen to write the one-act plays they will be directing and designing. Makena Mitchell ’22 will be presenting The Funeral. Makena says, “In my Capstone, The Funeral, I quite literally pull back the curtain on my unspoken truths of adolescence through characters who are two sides of the same coin. Because I am writing and directing, I wanted to challenge my actors to embrace some facets of the art I love most; what’s going on when you’re not speaking, and what’s beneath what you say?” Gael Taylor ’22 will be presenting Sammy’s Silly Zone. Gael says, “When coming up with ideas for my script, I felt it was vital to write something true to me. I figured, what is truer to who I am than a play about a manic game show hosted in an abandoned sound stage? Sammy’s Silly Zone is my humor, fears, and questionable style of writing in one giant lumpy ball.”
In addition to the Capstones, we are delighted to present Expectation/Reality/In-Between, by Lily Cline ’22. Lily created the play throughout the year in her Theatre Arts Independent Study course with Jen Grimes. Lily comments, “Having studied characters written by male playwrights my whole life, I wanted to portray female characters written by women. One exception is that I am doing a piece by Shakespeare, whose female characters exhibit remarkable humanity."
Jen Grimes, Theatre Arts Instructor, says of these students: “Each of these remarkable theatre artists has a unique voice, and a drive to tell the stories of our time. Their last work as Theatre students at SD will be a memorable evening, and we look forward to sharing it with our community.”
** COVID-19 Health Policy **
- We strongly recommend rapid antigen testing within 24 hours of event for all attendees, regardless of vaccination status.
- Students, faculty, and staff should please report positive tests to email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing any symptoms or test positive, please stay home.
In addition to the policies described above, the following is required when attending any indoor event on the SD campus.
All SD students are welcome to attend. Student vaccination records are held by SD administration.
All campus visitors ages 5+ must present proof of COVID-19 vaccination at check-in.
- Proof of vaccination includes vaccination card, digital photo of vaccination card, or the CA State Smart Health digital vaccine record.
- Non-boosted visitors: Date of last dose must be at least two weeks prior to event.
- Boosted visitors: No waiting period required.
All children under five years of age must present proof of a negative COVID-19 test.
- Rapid antigen test: photo of negative test with date, administered within 24 hours of event, or
- PCR test: email or printed copy of test results, administered within 48 hours of event.
Masks indoors are strongly recommended, though not required.