Dear San Domenico Community Members,
This reopening plan, Back to School 2020: Stronger Together, is the result of your SD faculty, staff, and COVID-19 Response Teams having been engaged in deep scenario planning and professional development since we transitioned to distance learning in March, 2020. In the following pages you will read about our School’s commitment to you and our expectations of our community members in the months to come. As we have learned with this pandemic, it is a quickly-evolving and unprecedented time. We will continue to revise and refine this plan and our policies according to the most current guidance from state and local authorities.
The COVID-19 pandemic requires fluidity and responsiveness as never before. Although some of the details may change, we are guided by the following overarching principles:
- We will support the safety and well-being of students, faculty, and staff.
- We will provide exceptional programming and academic excellence at all school levels.
- We will communicate clearly, transparently, and regularly with our community.
- We will be flexible and adaptive based on circumstances and guidance from the Marin County Office of Education (MCOE) and Marin County Public Health (MPH).
- We will ground all decision making in our four core values of study, reflection, community, and service.
With our HyFlex program model, we are ready for a strong and inspiring back to school season, whether on campus or in distance learning mode, and anywhere in between. While we plan and hope for a full return to campus as soon as safely possible, we will not be returning to the SD experience as we knew it prior to the arrival of COVID-19. Much has changed, and we will continue to be responsive going forward. It is up to each of us to take responsibility for our own role in doing all we can to preserve the health and well-being of everyone at San Domenico as we find ways to thrive in spite of challenging and emerging circumstances. We have been adapting and growing since our School was founded in 1850, and we know, together, we can come through this time stronger than ever.
Cecily Stock '77, M.A., J.D.
Head of School