Academic Year 2022-2023 (Full-Time 1.0 FTE)
Who We Are
At San Domenico, we believe that what students do with their education is as important as their academic performance. Every day we encourage our students to not just study, but also to reflect on their learning, find their purpose, and celebrate in community, because an exceptional education, where values and academics join together, creates more than just great students – it develops great people. San Domenico is a K-12, co-ed school, with international boarding and day students in our Upper School.
The Lower School Math Specialist and STEAM Coordinator is an essential member of the Lower School faculty. The LS Math Specialist/STEAM Coordinator supports teachers in implementing the principles of Singapore Math (i.e., concrete, pictorial, abstract) within our use of the Zearn math program and differentiating instruction in the classroom to reach a broad range of learners. The LS Math Specialist/STEAM Coordinator partners with classroom teachers to refine and extend learning experiences, support students with foundational math skills and number sense, assess student learning, and communicate with parents about the math program.
The Math Specialist/STEAM Coordinator collaborates with K-5 teachers to implement design thinking projects throughout the curriculum, specifically building on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math projects.
- Work with students in small groups for remediation, as well as push into and work with groups within the classroom
- Model various strategies for differentiating instruction to reach both students who need extra support in the foundations of math concepts and skills
- Provide case management of students which includes collaboration with specialists, evaluators, teachers, families, administrators, etc. (math running records)
- Maintain consistent communication with the Director of Lower and Middle School, teachers, and parents.
- Document learning profiles/action plans and share them with teachers while maintaining student files
- Provide teachers with anecdotal, written notes from classroom observations and instructional time
- Attend parent/teacher conferences of all students in caseload
- Collaborate with Lower School Math Lead on curriculum emphasis and professional development opportunities
- Provide appropriate outside math-focused referrals
- Review all weekly reports for students who receive math support
- Meet with grade level teams to discuss math and analyze student work
Design Thinking Integration
- Collaborate with the LS faculty to design at least one PBL/design thinking experience in each grade level K-5 in 2022-23 (winter/spring semester) for the grade level to implement
- Explore the future of how the Design Thinking program can grow in Lower School
- Collaborate with K-12 DEET as STEAM goals are being developed
- Meet with admissions, administration, and parents for incoming Lower School students and students transitioning from Lower School to Middle School
- Assist in monitoring extended time on in-class and standardized tests
- Attend weekly student support team meetings
- Create and manage remediation plans for students with extenuating circumstances such as prolonged illness
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
An ideal candidate will have most of the following qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Excellent computer proficiency (iPad, Mac computer, Gmail/Google Drive, MS Office – Word, Excel)
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
- Passion for elementary level mathematics, problem-solving and PBL
- Multiple Subject Credential or Single Subject Math Credential
- Experience working in an elementary school
Salary commensurate with experience, plus an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/matching 403b retirement plan, daily lunch.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to hr@SanDomenico.org describing how your experience and skills will contribute to the position, along with your salary requirements. Please put the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
Or mail to:
San Domenico School
1500 Butterfield Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Attn: Lower School Math Specialist and STEAM Coordinator
San Domenico School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, age, disability, medical condition, religion, veteran status, marital status or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.
No phone calls, please.