San Domenico School Library Program
From the Library Strategic Plan
The primary goals of the San Domenico school library program are, 1) to support the school’s curriculum with current resources that students find useful and of interest, 2) develop student’s appreciation for literature and support their literacy development, and 3) teach the necessary information literacy and technology skills that help students become independent, lifelong learners through implementation of the Information Literacy Skills Scope & Sequence.
Information Literacy Skills Scope & Sequence
The ‘scope and sequence’ has been created and adopted in order to fully integrate the library resources and the teaching of information literacy skills into the curriculum. This scaffold approach begins in the lower primary grades and continues through the Middle School and Upper School. Primary students learn basic information literacy skills including the use of our online catalog and other beginning online and web-based resources. As students mature, the scope and sequence focuses on increasingly complex technologies, online databases, digital resources and proficiencies associated with the higher level thinking skills of synthesis, evaluation and interpretation. Collaboration between library staff and teachers from all three divisions is instrumental in both collection development and in planning for and completing instruction using the Information Literacy Skills Scope & Sequence.
Family Library Accounts & Trainings
The San Domenico Library cordially invites you to experience all the resources our library has to offer by opening a Family Library Account. With that account you may borrow books and other library resources either for your children or for yourselves. Make visiting the library with your child a weekly excursion! We will also be glad to show you how to use our online catalog and information databases found on the Library homepage.
If you would like to schedule an individual or group training to learn how to better help your student in the research process or to enhance your own online searching skills, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a tutorial time.
San Domenico School Online Resources
(All online resources are accessible from library home page by clicking the Academics tab and scrolling down to Library. Make this page a shortcut on your desktop using this link to the Library Web page)
- Online Library Catalog (no UN or PW)
- Online access to the library’s print collection
- MARINet & Links + (free to search but you must have a library card to borrow)
- Link to the Marin County Library or a consortium of 100’s of public and University Libraries for Interlibrary loans
- EbscoHost Magazine, Journal & Newspaper Database (UN: sandomenico PW: library)
- over 3500 publications / millions of articles
- Email articles
- Citation maker
- Ed1Stop (UN: domenico PW: library)
- Grolier Online Encyclopedia
- 3 Encyclopedias
- Atlas / Dictionary
- World News & Newspapers
- Citation Maker & email capability
- Discovery Education Videos
- Khan Academy
- Calisphere (Cal. primary sources & photographs)
- NOVA (PBS)
- BrainPop & BrainPop Jr. (animated tutorials on all academic subjects)
- NASA for Kids
- Grolier Online Encyclopedia
- Netflix Account
Staff may order DVD's or streaming videos from Netflix by contacting librarian, Scott Fletcher. DVD's arrive within 2-3 days so please plan ahead.
- Bookmarked Websites
- The library page has links to hundreds of student-friendly web pages for all subject areas. Direct your students to quality web sites rather than having them “surf” the web. See the list of subject headings under Curriculum Web Resources.
- Parent & Student Workshops / Tutoring
I am available to teach parent workshops or individual parent and/or student tutorials on topics such as Online Searching, Advanced Googling, Using our Databases & Online Encyclopedia. To schedule a session please email me at email@example.com .